Thursday, November 15, 2012

Simple Future
Simple Future has two different forms in English: "will" and "be going to." Although the two forms can sometimes be used interchangeably, they often express two very different meanings. These different meanings might seem too abstract at first, but with time and practice, the differences will become clear. Both "will" and "be going to" refer to a specific time in the future.

Form will
[will+verb]
Examples:
  • You will help him later.
  • Will you help him later?
  • You will not help him later.

  • Form be going to
    [am/is/are + going to + verb]
    Examples:
    • You are going to meet Jane tonight.
    • Are you going to meet Jane tonight?
    • You are not going to meet Jane tonight
    Exercises:

    Verb Tense Exercise 18

    Will / Be Going To

    Correct! Well done.
    Your score is 100%.
    1. A: Why are you holding a piece of paper?
    B: I (write) am going to write a letter to my friends back home in Texas.

    2. A: I'm about to fall asleep. I need to wake up!
    B: I (get) will get you a cup of coffee. That will wake you up.

    3. A: I can't hear the television!
    B: I (turn) will turn it up so you can hear it.

    4. We are so excited about our trip next month to France. We (visit) are going to visit Paris, Nice and Grenoble.

    5. Sarah (come) will come to the party. Oliver (be) will be there as well.

    6. Ted: It is so hot in here!
    Sarah: I (turn) will turn the air-conditioning on.

    7. I think he (be) will be the next President of the United States.

    8. After I graduate, I (attend) am going to attend medical school and become a doctor. I have wanted to be a doctor all my life.

    9. A: Excuse me, I need to talk to someone about our hotel room. I am afraid it is simply too small for four people.
    B: That man at the service counter (help) will help you.

    10. As soon as the weather clears up, we (walk) are going to walk down to the beach and go swimming.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment